Declare His glory among the nations,
His marvelous deeds among all peoples.
Psalms 96:3

Sunday, June 27, 2010

8 days, people!

In 8 days and two hours we will be pulling out of the church driveway with a busload of 23 students, 23 suitcases, 23 carry-ons, and 5 leaders {and probably 5 cups of coffee}. 

 We're excited and ready to go! The students have been looking forward to LIFE for about a year...some of them for three years, since they attended the last LIFE Conference and spent an unforgettable week in Orlando, Fl.  I hear it's just about as hot in Kentucky these days, so for those who missed out on Orlando, you'll possibly get a taste of it when you walk out the hotel doors in KY.  It's funny, I think the leaders are just about as excited for the trip as the students are- I'm not exactly sure how to interpret that...either we are crazy or we really, really love spending time with these kids...or both.  

As an adult I know that it takes preparation to really get the most out of these conferences.  Scores of people have been working behind the scenes at Life Impact Ministries to set this conference into full swing.  And as far as conferences go, my experience has been that the LIFE conferences are done with excellence.  There is a permanent vision in my head of the last LIFE conference...it goes like this:

5,ooo teenagers
a dark arena
worship music
communion
glow sticks

 It was an unforgettable evening...

I'm also aware that it's not enough for all of the people behind the scenes to be preparing and working...all of us who are attending have a responsibility to prepare, too.  We can show up Tuesday afternoon ready to be entertained and taught, and I'm pretty sure that will happen.  But, if we really want to be changed and renewed, then we have a part to play, too.

To the students:
The time is almost here.  I know you're excited to start packing at the end of the week.  I know you can't wait to spend a week w/out your siblings {and dare I mention your parents?}.  I know you've been waiting all year for this trip- some of you have even mentioned to me that you are really looking forward to seeing what God wants to teach you during LIFE.  Some of you are hoping God is going to say something BIG to you that will help you change the direction you are going in.  I hear a desire to follow God...and alot of depending on the speakers and worship leaders to get you to listen to Him.

I couldn't help thinking of all these things this morning as Pastor Carl was teaching on Jonah.  I thought of many of you by name as he was retelling the story of a Prophet who ran away from God's voice.  Hear me clearly when I say this - I'm not saying that your questioning is ANY different than some of the questioning that comes from adults at times.  But, I've recently spoken to many of you who know what it is to be obedient to God, and who spend alot of time running in the other direction from Him.  I don't think it's an intentional running...I really don't...but I do think it's easier to run than it is to stay and take instructions. 

So, why bring this up? 

Here's the deal.  I KNOW you want to do what is right.  I KNOW you are attending LIFE not just because your friends are going and because it's great entertainment.  I KNOW that you are going because you want to be open to God's voice.  And because I know these things, I'm making one request of you this week:

Amidst the busyness of your week- the time spent on your ipods, computers, and with friends- set aside an allotted amount of time with God THIS week.  Ask Him to meet with you this week so that next week you can meet with him as friends....not strangers.  Ask Him to spend time with you as you prepare your hearts to be open to His whisperings.  Ask Him...I dare you!  I promise He will show up, be glad to join you, and will guide you as you ask Him to help you be faithful to Him.  I'm going to do the same this week - and I hope that you'll find it makes a difference in me as it also makes a difference in you.  {You can be assured that your leaders are praying for you all by name...we want nothing more than to see you fall in line with God's plan for your lives and your futures}

Rest up this week a little, too...I'm pretty you'll find you will need it!!!

Have a great week, you guys! 
 See you at the bonfire at the Herr's on Wednesday!

2 comments:

Christine said...

Looking forward to a week of praying for you all!

Terri said...

Christine...it's weird to think that the last LIFE you were standing behind us and we were all bawling during the flag ceremony, knowing you were headed over seas...and now you're almost done w/your first term!!!